Almost 90 years ago, exactly in 1920, was set up Fabrica de Pastas Alimenticias La Moderna, nowadays the #1 in Mexico, although its origin was uncertain, problematic and full of adverse circumstance. In that time people did not used to eat pasta, they only consumed bread, tortillas, and broad beans.
With those expectations Brothers Vendrell, including Dionisio, came from Spain and were associated with Mr. Alberto A. Henkel, they brought from their country a small pastas’ company, in order to produce this kind of products in Mexico, that were unknown and many people did not consume.
Despite the technology and machinery they brought from Europe, they did not succeed as they expect, as a consequence they were forced to cede the business to Mr. Rafael Costa, the technician who managed the company, to do this he had to invite to his son-in-law to participate in the project, in that time it was located on Sebastian Lerdo de Tejada Street, near from the Alameda in Toluca, then they move to a big house located in Pedro Asencio in the same city.
In 1927 Mr. Rafael Costa went to Spain leaving all the administration to Mr. Javier Revertes, who worked on it until 1955, the company in that moment, was located closer from city center on #4 Ignacio Allende Street.
On 1929, the company produced and sold 349,913 lb of pasta, for 1955 the company produced 2,825,153 lb at year. In that time pasta was sold in bags and wooden boxes, in this way the storekeepers could sell in paper cones; all deliveries were made on wagons and only in Toluca and its surroundings.
In 1955 Mr. Javier Reverter, at age of 60, sold the company to Mr. Esteban Abascal Saldamando, whom update everything and changes to its actual location, on #405 Gónzalez Ortega Street in Toluca. Mr. Esteban built a new factory, that now-a-days is active, acquired the most moderns equips that exist in that time, giving to this new and modern company a leading-edge, all the equipment was made by the Italian brand “Pavan”.
In that time packing was made in corrugated cardboard’s boxes from 11 and 22 lb each one and in paper bags that contain 6 lb of pasta. Selling was made by kilo or quarters of kilo wrapped on paper.
On 1 June 1959, by buying and selling all company’s fixed assets Mr. Luis Gutierrez Dosal, Mr. Carlos Scougall and Mr. Eduardo Monroy Cardenas were associated and bought the company, Mr. Eduardo was in charged of the company. Unfortunately, Mr. Luis Gutierrez Dosal died 24 days after buying the company and Mr. Carlos Scougall sold his participation to Mr. Eduardo, with this he took the company’s control. In this year the company sold 522,732.94 lb of pasta.